I was reading Scott Mariani’s book – How to write a thriller – when I came across the chapter The Power of Positive Thinking.
it suited my downward trending mood as i was feeling as though i was engaged in a pointless activity. Although i love the act of writing, will i ever ‘get there’ ?
However, it stated similar statements written by numerous other authors –
– don’t let negative thoughts bring you down
– love the challenge of the moment
– remember even famous authors have been in the same position
I would like to add my own –
– don’t think too far ahead, enjoy the moment
– don’t compare yourself to others, even if they’re in the same position
– don’t look to family to understand what it’s like – unless published you’re not taken seriously
– don’t read too many ‘how to books’ – info overload & conflicting advice suffocates – I have a constant voice on my shoulder warning me about sentence length etc
– don’t drink too much coffee – jittery system
– watch the birds in the garden – nature is very grounding
– play about with genre – it may surprise you what you enjoy writing
– paint your fingernails – yes guys you too so much prettier when typing !
I’m sure you wise folk will have more to say – but I now need to read daughters homework on Hitler – no peace for the wicked.
Happy Word Flow One & All